|The finished Spinach Smoothie, in all its glory.|
Mostly because I want him to be around the rest of my life.
Recipe 1: Spinach Smoothie
- 2 cups VERY PACKED (I pack it down till I can't fit any more in the cup while holding it down with my hand) Spinach (I get the baby spinach from Sams Club, 1 of those pound containers gives me about 2-3 recipes worth)
- 1.5 cup milk
- 1-2 bananas (I like it better with 1-1.5 bananas)
- 1 pear (can substitute with 3/4 c. applesauce?)
- 1 T. Lemon juice (might need 2)
- 1.5 cup frozen strawberries (slightly thawed, like rinsed)
The picture on the left I'm cramming it into a 2 cup measuring cup. The picture on the right is it all fluffed out in a colander for washing. Its about 1/2 to a 1/3 pound of spinach (at least, its half of one of those 1 lb Sams containers).
The key to getting a smooth consistency is to pack the spinach into the blender first, with the milk, and puree only that. Only after that is all smooth and a pretty green (picture on the right), then add the other stuff (bananas, pear, lemon juice) and blend that for a bit more.
Last, I add the only frozen thing (the strawberries, which I usually try to thaw a little bit) at the very end, as that way its easier on the blender's motor. When I tried to freeze the bananas, the poor blender was unhappy.
Josh's verdict "not bad." Which is saying something.
Recipe 2: Kale Smoothie
- 2 cups VERY PACKED Kale.
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 bananas
- 1.5 cups frozen strawberries (slightly thawed, rinsed)
- 1 c. canned pineapple (with juices, I buy the big can from Sam's then freeze them in 1 c. amounts in sandwich bags)
I think the kale is a stronger taste so it needs more "zing" to balance it. (Pineapple, strawberries)
Basically, in my brain, there's 3 components to a good smoothie.
- The green stuff (sometimes slightly bitter, alas)
- The smooth taste (bananas & milk)
- The zingy taste (pineapples, lemon, kiwis, strawberries, mangoes)
|Kuzzles with a smoothie mustache. She was moody because she had to sit in her high chair while I made it. Now that she's out of her prison she is cheering up more. And trying the smoothie.|